Friday, July 19, 2024

changing places awareness day 2024

 

Today (19th July) is changing places awareness day.  For you who don’t know what changing places is, let me explain.

 

Standard accessible toilets do not meet the needs of all people with a disability. Over ¼ million people in the UK with a disability need extra equipment and space to allow them to use the toilets safely and comfortably. These needs are met by Changing Places toilets. So, a changing places toilet have the all Right equipment in it such as a hoist, a changing bed and it is very big to move around for a wheelchair user and 2 carers. I am just one of these people.

 

Everyone goes to the toilet up to 10 times a day or may be more but sadly this is very difficult for a lot of disabled people who requires a changing places toilet because of the lack of changing places.

In Scotland, there is 270 changing places and 26 in Glasgow (where I live) even although this is better than it was when I started campaign 10 years ago there is still a lot of work to be done.

 

As a disabled person who like to go out and about a lot I always work my day or trip around where I can get to a changing places and  let me tell you it isn’t fun! Who would of  thought that getting to  the toilet would be a big problem? Well, that is my life and many others.  Like I said there is just 26 changing places in Glasgow now but  there is still a lot of work to be done.   For example, I would like to see some restaurants, pubs, parks, supermarkets, hotels and many more places.   So, this changing places awareness day I want to make everyone aware of the importance of changing places toilets and the need of them everywhere!  can I ask everyone who is reading this post to share this to show your support for changing places toilets pleas? And together we can make the world a more inclusive place!  #CPAD24 #inclusion


 Written by Jill Clark 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ability Today