Monday, March 25, 2024

Kilt walk

 

It is always good to do something for charity, so when someone suggested that I should do the kilt walk, I thought yeah, it sounds like fun!

 

So, I signed up for the kilt walk or wheel in my case on the 28th of April.

Kilt walk is Scotland’s largest mass participation walking event with over 145,000 people taking part since 2016.

 

The kind-hearted Kilt walk community have taken big strides for charities close to their hearts and together with The Hunter Foundation, have managed to raise a staggering £42.5 million to date. All funds raised have been distributed to 3,330 Scottish Charities.

I have decided to do the kilt walk for The Advisory Group or TAG for short, somewhere very near to my heart.

 

The Advisory Group has been going since 1996 to enable people with disabilities to have a stronger voice in the services they use and in their local communities.  

It is run by disabled people for disabled people, to promote inclusion and fight discrimination. It became a registered charity in 2012 and has over 500 members. There are 14 regional TAG groups across Scotland. TAG supports people to respond to issues and concerns raised by individuals both locally and nationally. But perhaps the most important work we do in making Scotland a more inclusive place for everyone to live.  

 

TAG helps disabled people like myself to make life more inclusive through campaigns or through setting up  activities in the country like football or dance club.

 

I have been involved with TAG for about 10 years now.   Over the 10 years TAG has helped me to start my campaign.  My campaign is for more Changing Places toilets in Scotland.  Standard accessible toilets do not meet the needs of all people with a disability. Over ¼ million people in the UK with a disability need extra equipment and space to allow them to use the toilets safely and comfortably. These needs are met by Changing Places toilets. A Changing Places toilet has all the right equipment in it such as a hoist, a changing bed and it is very big to move around for a wheelchair user and 2 carers.

Through the years I have managed to open a few Changing Places toilets, including Clydebank shopping centre, Queen street station, River Side Museum, Science Centre, Burrell collection and many more.

 

With my campaign TAG has helped me to make videos, to write Blogs and articles and TAG has given me many opportunities to do some public speaking.

 

I feel that it’s time to give thanks to TAG by fund raising money for TAG.  The money that I raise will help TAG to continue to help me with my campaign and run activities in the community.

 

If you wish to sponsor me please follow this link  The Advisory Group is fundraising for The Advisory Group (justgiving.com)

 

Written by Jill Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Great Success