Friday, May 3, 2024

My Great Success

Sometimes, everyone feels that they are not getting anywhere with things, especially when they have been trying so hard and for so long. That was what I felt like when I was trying to get a Changing Places toilet in Clydebank shopping centre.


Clydebank is my local shopping centre, where I go a lot.  But it was getting difficult to go there because I couldn’t get the toilet in the centre because I require a hoist to get to the toilet.  I remember one time my Mum and myself asked at the information desk if they had a hoist in the toilet, but sadly, they said no.  We thought it was terrible because they just had a baby changing toilet installed but they didn’t have the right disabled toilet. So, I decided I was going to get a Changing Places toilet installed in Clydebank shopping centre.

It was back in 2018 when I started campaigning.  First of all, I wrote a letter to the shopping centre with TAG‘s help and lucky enough they got back to me quite quickly and asked to meet with me.

 

At the meeting I explained my issues and how it would make such a difference if they installed a Changing Places toilet to a lot of disabled people, including myself. The manager seemed very positive that they could get a Changing Places installed. This was a very good start, but little I did know that we had a long road ahead!

After that first meeting, I kept emailing them to see what was happening, but I just kept getting same answer, that they were waiting for all of the planning to go ahead. This took years!  I was getting frustrated.  I know these things takes while and it can’t happen overnight, but it is an important facility to have in the centre.

 

In 2020 the world closed down so; I knew that would hold everything back.

 

In summer 2022, I got email to say that Clydebank got the go ahead for the changing places and I was delighted to hear it, but it took another year and half to build it.

 

It was summer last year when they finally started to build the toilet. I was so glad to see it started.  A few months later it wasn’t finished and I started to wondering if it will ever open! 

 

I kept emailing the manager and I kept being told it was all ready, but it needed to be officially signed off. Once again, I was very frustrated. Knowing it was ready, but it couldn’t be used. Finally, on the Friday before Christmas, it opened at last!  I was emailing the manager every day that week before Christmas, then on the Friday I heard that it was open,  so me and my Mum went straight to Clydebank to see it.

That first time that I saw the Changing Places I thought it was a fantastic facility and I couldn’t believe that it was opened!

 

The facility is next to shop ability.   There is a button you press and someone will come and open it. I know that some people don’t like this way because they need to wait but, in my opinion, this is better because it is locked so everyone can’t use it because this toilet facility is for someone who requires a hoist or a changing bed.

 

Inside the toilet, it is very big with a ceiling hoist and a changing bed.  I know there is 1 hand bar but there should be 2, but I know that Clydebank is getting this sorted with a couple more things.

 

Having the Changing Places in Clydebank now is so much better for a lot of disabled people and for me   personally. It means that I can go to my local shopping centre and get to the toilet!

 

Even although it took about 6 years, I am very proud of myself that I campaigned for a Changing Places toilet in Clydebank, it is my great success!

If you wish to get some more information on this or give feedback.  All of my contact details is under contact me on this Website.

Written by Jill Clark









No comments:

Post a Comment

My Great Success